Friday, September 4, 2020

Written January 31, 2009, but is still very relevant, even in 2020.

What is success?
To laugh often and much;
To win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
To earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by
a healthy child, a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed
easier because you have lived;
This is to have succeeded.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I read this in a book, and it touched me.  I have always lived by the creed that if i can make one person laugh per day, then my day is complete.  From past experiences i have learned that you can't help everyone, no matter how much you want to, but can help some.  Sometimes just by sharing a differing opinion and making them think. Or just sitting quietly listening, really listening, which is truly a lost skill in the 21st century.   Every person i've ever known has taught me something about life, some life lesson that has engraved itself into my psyche.  Not all have been positive, not all have been painless, but all have had an effect on me, and the way i live my life. 

I try to live to learn, and i'm trying to teach my kids the same.  Everything in life has something you can learn from it, even if you don't realize the lesson until later.  Through the years i have done some incredibly stupid things, as well as made some very smart decisions.  All of these have been influenced by people, and situations i've experienced in life. 

Every friend i've ever had has been loved by me.  Many never knew it, i'm trying to make sure all of the people currently active in my life are aware.  Love is not always romantic, love is not always passionate. Love is sometimes a calm, steady pillar of strength.  i love and am loved.  There are some people who i love from afar, as it's too hard to be close again.  There are some people who i love from close by.  All are held close to my heart.

I have made friends via the interwebs who live all over the world.  I wish i could gather them up and bring them to my dungeon, um erm, home, for there are some i would love to just be able to hug, whenever, wherever.  They all know they are loved by me.

I have no idea why i'm writing about love again, i find when i'm feeling depressed that it's hard to accept that i'm lovable, so i guess i want to make sure that everyone else knows that they are lovable and loved.
So, even if i've never talked to you, met you, or just communicated with you by text, know that you are loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment